Thursday, January 15, 2009

Life at Woodlawn Cemetery



I woke up from a bad dream that left a yucky feeling with me for most of the day. And it was very cold. It is hard to be in the moment on some days and today was one of those days. I'm looking forward to the day when I can see the beauty in every single thing.

I had lunch with Steve. His office is across the street from Woodlawn Cemetery. Civil War solders from the North and South are buried there.

Today’s Picture of the Day is of one of the tombstones. The image is of a hand, definitely in 19th century attire, pointing to the "Holy Bible." The image is lovely, but I found what was living on the surface of the tombstone even more beautiful. Besides the obvious irony of something living on a tombstone, these lichens are meaningful because lichens cannot live with air pollution. Lichens are used to monitor air quality. Check out the US Forest Service’s web site.

I don’t know how healthy these lichens are, but I was happy to see them because this cemetery is between the two busiest streets in Carbondale. Of course, a real expert might look at them and exclaim, “My, my, my, what sickly lichens have we here!” If you know of a lichen expert, I’d be interested in her observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment