Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Patriotism (mine)


With today’s Picture of the Day, I want to express my deep gratitude to the people of my country who helped Barack Obama become the 44th President of the United States. I was one of millions of people who went door-to-door because I strongly believed that Barack Obama could lead the United States with optimism, foresight, intelligence, and humility.

What is patriotism? Pride? What does flying the flag signify? I’m still not sure. Is it to support our military and the people who have given their lives in battles? That is how a recent flag raising ceremony that I attended was conducted. It did leave me with a feeling that there is so much more to our country. No disrespect for the military or those who serve. I asked my husband who was in the military if that was the purpose of the flag.

And I believe that I got my answer today as I walked down a stairwell viewing the flags of the United States, POW-MIA, and Illinois. I projected my meaning onto the flags and I was proud: proud that enough people cared and believed in democracy to elect Barack Obama as our new president. To me the flag represents the ideals that Barack spoke about in his brilliant speech. These ideals are: “hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true.” That is what the flag represents to me, especially on this wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the flag. It does hold meaning honoring those that fought and died for it. But, it means so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete